Friday, August 9, 2013

Beauty Army July 2013 Review

It's that time on the month again- no, not THAT time...but time for all of my beauty subscriptions to arrive, one by one, as I stalk the tracking numbers like a 1D fan!

I recently received my July Beauty Army box, and would love to share my selections with you!

What's Beauty Army?  Beauty Army is an awesome beauty box program that is $12 a month.  This is the ONLY subscription service that allows you to CHOOSE your samples, so you never end up with something that you don't want to try.  Beauty Army also has the option to skip a month without cancelling, or to have one of their stylists choose the items for you.  You can choose up to SIX items each month.  If you are interested, here is a LINK to their site, and if you use this link, I receive credit towards receiving a free box (and then you can refer people, too!).

Ok, enough about how to subscribe, on to the goodies!

The box

My box was damaged in the mail this month, and that gives me a sad face.  I love repurposing these cute boxes, and this month, it's sadly crushed.  

The insert card

Unlike other months, BA has send a suggested reading list on the insert card.  What a great idea- I'll definitely check out these summer reads!

Addiction NV Cosmetics Gel liner pot in Hell on Heels, full size, retail value $16; available HERE.

First, let me say that I LOVE the name of this color- Hell on Heels.  What a great description!  I've received Addiction NV liners in my last few beauty boxes, and I've enjoyed their creamy consistency and bright colors.  Last month, I noticed that Addiction NV's website seemed to be down, and I THINK I've solved the mystery- they have changed their name, due to trademark issues.  The new company name is Hey Saylor Cosmetics- super cute!  The link above to purchase goes to Hey Saylor's facebook page- their online store is not yet up and running, but they do have all of their original product line available for shipping.  I am assuming the pricing is staying the same, but I do not have a price chart for reference.

Swatch of Hell on Heels
I love this pretty blue- teal has become my trademark eyeliner color, but this pretty blue works well and accents my eyes, I think.
GRADE: 4/5

Mini Kittour 30 mL travel bottle, frosted, retail value $3; set of 2 (one frosted and one clear) is available from BA's site HERE for $6.

I've really enjoyed receiving these travel bottles the last couple of months.  They are the perfect size to store shampoo, lotion or other samples that don't come in resealable packaging- and have helped me get multiple uses out of several products!  As my box was damaged in the mail, my little bottle was bent out of shape, but I was easily able to pop it back into it's original form- these little bottles are super durable!
GRADE: 4/5

Colorsmash Hair Shadow in Rags to Riches (vibrant purple), 0.03 oz sample size; retail value $4.09.  Full size (0.11 oz) is available HERE or on BA's site for $15.

I loved receiving the pink hair chalk last month- it only stands that getting purple this month would be awesome too!  My oldest claimed the pink pretty quick, so I am trying to keep the purple to myself if at all possible.

Swatch of Rags to Riches

Hair chalk is super easy to use- you simply smash the pan against your hair, and then apply hair spray.  It washes out with shampoo; and off your skin with soap and water.  My only suggestion is to wear gloves- this stuff gets all over your hands if you aren't careful!
GRADE: 5/5


Bikini Soft Smooth Shave Oil in citrus bliss, 0.5 oz sample, retail value $4.33.  Full size kit (shave oil 1 oz, razor saver 0.5 oz) is available HERE or from BA's Site for $12.99.
I chose this sample because I wanted to fill out my box with something that was not a foil pack.  There, I said it.  I did a bit of research on Bikini Soft, and their website looks like one for a "as seen on tv product"- a major turn off for me.  I plowed through and read that this oil can be used to shave your bikini line, underarms or legs, and leaves them feeling soft and silky.  I have not given this a try just yet, but I will let you know what I think of it as soon as I do!  I will say, it smells really good, and the ingredient list is an all natural list of oils- yay for no parabens!
GRADE: 3/5 (neutral)

Remington Anywear Elastics hair bands, 3 pack, retail value $2.50.  Available at your local Walmart or from BA's store (currently out of stock- but I think it's $5 for 3 3 packs).
The next item in my box is what turned out to be my favorite- Remington's Anywear Elastics hair bands.  I wear my hair up almost all summer, hair bands are an essential to my daily routine.  What- it's hot here, and sweaty hair on my neck is just...ew.  I gave these a try, and I seriously love them!  These wide elastics don't pull or tug my hair, are comfortable to wear, and super cute on a wrist!  I love the colors I received- they are all perfect for every day wear: purple, pink and yellow.  I would definitely repurchase these!
GRADE: 5/5

Skiin Soothing & Smoothing Eye Cream, 3mL sample, retail value $9.99.  Full size available HERE, or from BA's store, 15mL for $49.95.
Because I have hooded eyes, I love trying out eye creams to see if they help make my eyes appear less hooded.  This eye cream probably won't help with that, but it DOES advertise lessening dark circles and stimulate collagen production and thus reducing fine lines.  I love this little sample tube- it is resealable and easy to use.  The product doesn't have much of a scent, which is good, and it tingles when you put it on.  I'm not sure I will repurchase this one, as it does have a higher price point, but I will use this sample as long as I can- this is a win for me!
GRADE: 5/5

And that just about wraps up my July Beauty Army choices.  

Beauty Army July 2013 box
Here's my financial breakdown, based on the retail value of my box:
Addiction NV Cosmetics Hey Saylor Cosmetics Gel liner (full size!): $16
Mini Kittour travel bottle: $3
Colorsmash Hair Shadow (sample size): $4.09
Bikini Soft smooth shave oil (half size): $4.33
Remington Anywear Elastic bands (full size!): $2.50
Skiin Soothing & Smoothing Eye Cream (sample size): $9.99
Total retail value: $39.91
Total out of pocket: $12, shipping included
I'm really happy with everything that I selected, and thrilled that the retail value of my box is nearly $40!  

So tell me, my Only Average friends- what did you select this month?  Have you tried any of these products?  Leave me a comment and let me know!

Until next time, my lovelies- stay average!


Wordle: Untitled 


Disclaimer: This review is solely my opinion, on a product that I paid for our of my own pockets.  I have not been compensated for this opinion in any way, and it is my honest thoughts and review on the products listed above.  The referral link in this post is one where I would receive credit for a referral, and be compensated with free product for referring 3 people.  Here is a link that just goes to Beauty Army, without my referral code.  Links to vendor's sites are not referral or compensated links.  I strive for honesty :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great box you received this month. I love the hell on heels color.. Smashing! The hair bands are another must, as I feel the same way you do about sweaty hair on the back of my neck.. ewww... :) What a great deal. I can't wait to get mine started back up and going!!!
    What a great blog, thank you for keeping them coming!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really happy with this box. Beauty Army has been great to introduce me to some awesome new brands. Thanks, Amy :)

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of choosing your samples, I haven't subscribed to any of these monthly boxes yet because I wasn't sure about the product reliability. I love that cream eyeliner you got, nice color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erica! Beauty Army has been pretty good to me, plus if you don't like what they offer one month, you can just click "skip" and receive nothing. Another subscriber just cancels her sub each month after she receives her box so doesn't have to worry about remembering to cancel. Not a bad idea.
      :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and visit! I read all the comments and try to reply to everyone. It's the least I could do- it's very...Average.