Friday, January 20, 2012

My Mom Has Cancer

***I wrote this back in August, and never published it.  Mom has since completed chemo (which she assures me is the worst experience of her life), and has begun radiation.  You CAN come back from Stage 3 Cancer, people.  You just gotta FIGHT!***


Don't worry, I'm not even going to try to be vaguely funny with this one.

A few months ago my mom called me and told me the very sad news that she has Cancer.  Breast Cancer to be more specific.  I love my mom, but we aren't overly close, and this made me more than sad. But if you know me at all, then you know that I am the kind of person to have around in a crisis: I keep it together until the drama is over, and then I fall apart.  This means that I am usually the one who is there for everyone, and I don't normally have anyone of my own to lean on in tough times, but we are who we are, and that's not going to change.

Once my mom had scheduled her surgery, I took the train to New York to stay with her.  Which sounds like a great idea.  On paper.  Until you realize that I was bringing my nearly two year old with me.  On a train.  With no car seat or seat belt.  For 7 hours.  I know, I'm crazy.


 Comfy seats.


 The train is totally awesome.  When you don't travel with a two year old.

So I get to New York in time for my mom to have her surgery, and I met her new boyfriend Ben.  Short story is, the surgery went well, the Cancer is removed, and she has just started chemo.  
Actual text conversation between my mom and me:
Mom: they just injected me with some stuff that makes me glow in the dark.
Me: Will it make you glow in the dark?
Mom: No, but that would be cool if it did!


My mom is awesome, folks.  Not everyone can deal with my warped since of humor while undergoing the hell that is Cancer treatment. 


I hope and pray that one day there will be a cure for Cancer, that works for everyone, and doesn't try to kill the patient as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and visit! I read all the comments and try to reply to everyone. It's the least I could do- it's very...Average.